Soup of the Week – Italian Sausage Soup
Every week I go to my Mom’s house and make a batch of soup. I separate them into servings and freeze them then they go into the weekly lunch rotation. I like to have a few weeks worth of soup in the freezer at any one time because I want a different soup every day.
So… this week… soup of the week was Italian Sausage Soup.
Ingredients (Makes 7 servings)
- 4 links Al Fresco Chicken Sausage – Sweet Italian Style – chopped up.
- 10 ounces minced Garlic
- 12 ounces chopped onion
- 32 fl oz Pacific Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 14 1/2 oz (one can) Diced Tomatoes, No Salt Added
- 250 gram shredded Carrots (I buy shreds or matchstick in the store)
- 14 1/2 oz (one can) Eden Organic Cannellini Beans
- 170 grams Torn Spinach Leaves
- 311 grams Cubed Zucchini Squash
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Pepper, Black (or to taste)
- 56 grams orzo
- 1 to 2 cups water (depends on how brothy you want it)
1. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage with garlic and onion in a spray of olive oil.
2. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, orzo and carrots, and season with italian seasoning and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Stir in beans with liquid and zucchini. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
4. Remove from heat, and add spinach. Replace lid allowing the heat from the soup to
cook the spinach leaves. Soup is ready to serve after 5 minutes.
This is a light and yummy soup.
Serving Size – 1 serving (503.7 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories – 224
Calories from Fat – 44
Total Fat – 4.9g
Saturated Fat – 1.2g
Cholesterol – 37mg
Sodium – 413mg
Total Carbohydrates – 29.4g
Dietary Fiber – 6.7g
Sugars – 7.3g
Protein – 16.3g
Vitamin A 190% • Vitamin C 42%
Calcium 9% • Iron 17%