Soup of the Week – Turkey and Barley Stew
I was traveling two days this week for work… and what with the catching up when you get back… I guess the whole blogging thing went by the way-side.
It’s still “this week” – so I didn’t miss my chance to post the soup I made on Saturday.
I am inherently lazy, so a lot of my soups start with ground meat. I’m not a big fan of the chopping. I buy my vegetables frozen and have even started buying frozen chopped onions for soup too (hey… they are only about 50 cents more, and they save me at least 10 minutes of prep time… Worth it!
This could easily also be made with chopped up chicken or turkey and fresh-type veggies.
Turkey and Barley Stew
- 4 second spray canola oil
- 20 oz ground turkey breast (99% fat free)
- 12 oz chopped onion (Frozen if you like)
- 16 oz package frozen mixed vegetables
- 165 grams barley
- 32 ounce low sodium chicken broth
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water with one packet no sodium chicken bouillon
- corn starch to thicken
- Add onion and turkey to spray of oil; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add mixed vegetables; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth, water, bouillon, and barley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add salt, thyme, sage, poultry seasoning and pepper to barley mixture; simmer 10 minutes. (I’m pretty generous in my definition of 1/4 teaspoon) Also, if you feel like it, toss in some rosemary.
- Thicken with corn starch. (Here I’m just assuming you know how to do that)
Voila! A Thick and Hearty stew of yumminess. It could be more of a soup if you leave off the corn starch part, but I like my soup thicker.
Serving Size – 1 serving (525 g)
- Calories – 286
- Calories from Fat – 25
- Total Fat – 2.8g
- Saturated Fat – 0.2g
- Trans Fat – 0.0g
- Cholesterol – 58mg
- Sodium – 378mg
- Total Carbohydrates – 35.2g
- Dietary Fiber – 5.7g
- Sugars – 4.9g
- Protein – 30.0g
- Vitamin A 79%
- Vitamin C 15%
- Calcium 3%
- Iron 14%